Requesting a Free Credit Report after Application is Denied

woman sitting on the floor surrounded by papers in front of an open laptop
Dear Experian,

I just had my credit run for a credit card and was denied. The lender said Experian was used to check my credit and I am entitled to a copy of my credit report. How do I get this?


Dear LMS,

The credit card company should have provided instructions for requesting a free report with the declination letter you received. If not, you can still request your report very easily.

Simply go to Experian's Report Access. Experian will provide your report free, instantly online through a secure, encrypted connection.

You can only get a free report from the credit reporting company that provided the report used by the lender in making its decision. The lender will tell you which credit reporting company they used, just as your lender did.

The lender is also required to provide the reasons why you were declined. If those reasons were not included in the declination letter, I suggest you ask for them. They will help you understand if the decision was related to your credit history and, if so, help you focus on what you can do to improve your risk.

Thanks for asking.
- The "Ask Experian" team

The purpose of this question submission tool is to provide general education on credit reporting. The Ask Experian team cannot respond to each question individually. However, if your question is of interest to a wide audience of consumers, the Experian team may include it in a future post and may also share responses in its social media outreach. If you have a question, others likely have the same question, too. By sharing your questions and our answers, we can help others as well.

Personal credit report disputes cannot be submitted through Ask Experian. To dispute information in your personal credit report, simply follow the instructions provided with it. Your personal credit report includes appropriate contact information including a website address, toll-free telephone number and mailing address.

To submit a dispute online visit Experian's Dispute Center. If you have a current copy of your personal credit report, simply enter the report number where indicated, and follow the instructions provided. If you do not have a current personal report, Experian will provide a free copy when you submit the information requested. Additionally, you may obtain a free copy of your report once a week through April 2022 at AnnualCreditReport.