Notifying Experian of the Death of a Relative

Notifying Experian of the Death of a Relative article image.
Dear Experian,

My mother died recently, how do I get her information into your data bank?


Dear PWG,

Typically, Experian receives notification that an individual is deceased from their lenders. Once the lenders are notified of your mother's death, they will update the account information in their systems and then report the information to the credit reporting companies. Each account will show that it is reported as belonging to a deceased individual.

Experian also receives notices from the Social Security Administration of individuals who have been reported as deceased. Once this notification is received, an indicator is added to the credit report showing that the Social Security Administration has reported the person deceased. This helps prevent anyone from using the deceased person's identification information to commit identity theft. If you wish, you may mail a copy of your mother's death certificate to Experian, P.O. Box 4500, Allen, TX 75013. You may also submit it online by uploading your documents. Once received, Experian will add the deceased indicator and permanently remove your mother's name from future mailing lists for preapproved offers.

If you are executor of your mother's estate, you may also request a copy of her credit report by providing Experian with a copy of a legal document showing executorship, along with the copy of the death certificate and a note explaining your request.

Thanks for asking.
The "Ask Experian" team

The purpose of this question submission tool is to provide general education on credit reporting. The Ask Experian team cannot respond to each question individually. However, if your question is of interest to a wide audience of consumers, the Experian team may include it in a future post and may also share responses in its social media outreach. If you have a question, others likely have the same question, too. By sharing your questions and our answers, we can help others as well.

Personal credit report disputes cannot be submitted through Ask Experian. To dispute information in your personal credit report, simply follow the instructions provided with it. Your personal credit report includes appropriate contact information including a website address, toll-free telephone number and mailing address.

To submit a dispute online visit Experian's Dispute Center. If you have a current copy of your personal credit report, simply enter the report number where indicated, and follow the instructions provided. If you do not have a current personal report, Experian will provide a free copy when you submit the information requested. Additionally, you may obtain a free copy of your report once a week through April 2022 at AnnualCreditReport.