How to Check if Your Child Has a Credit Report

Father tickling daughter on porch

Dear Experian,

How do I check to see if my children have open credit reports? The form requires a driver's license number, which they do not have.


Dear WMV,

Experian does not knowingly maintain credit reports on minor children. However, it is not uncommon for a parent to add a child as an authorized user or joint account holder, in which case they may have a legitimate credit history.

How to Check If Your Child Has a Credit Report

That said, if you are concerned that someone may have fraudulently used your child's identification to open credit accounts, you can check to see if an Experian credit report exists for your child using Experian's minor request form. The form provides a detailed explanation of documentation you will need to provide along with your request.

You will need to provide documentation verifying your identity, such as a copy of your driver's license. Experian does not require a copy of a driver's license for the child.

If there is no credit report for them, we will send you a letter explaining that no record was found.

Steps to Take If There Are Fraudulent Accounts on Your Child's Report

If either of your children do have a credit report as a result of fraudulent accounts, you will want to take the following steps:

  • Contact Experian at the toll free number on the report and speak with one of our customer service representatives to dispute any fraud-related items on the report.
  • Place a security alert on your child's credit report. An initial security alert lasts for twelve months.
  • File a police or identity theft report indicating that your children are victims of identity theft. Send a copy of the report to Experian.
  • Contact the creditors appearing on the credit report to notify them of the fraud.
  • If you wish, you can also choose to freeze your child's file.

Thanks for asking.
The "Ask Experian" team

The purpose of this question submission tool is to provide general education on credit reporting. The Ask Experian team cannot respond to each question individually. However, if your question is of interest to a wide audience of consumers, the Experian team may include it in a future post and may also share responses in its social media outreach. If you have a question, others likely have the same question, too. By sharing your questions and our answers, we can help others as well.

Personal credit report disputes cannot be submitted through Ask Experian. To dispute information in your personal credit report, simply follow the instructions provided with it. Your personal credit report includes appropriate contact information including a website address, toll-free telephone number and mailing address.

To submit a dispute online visit Experian's Dispute Center. If you have a current copy of your personal credit report, simply enter the report number where indicated, and follow the instructions provided. If you do not have a current personal report, Experian will provide a free copy when you submit the information requested. Additionally, you may obtain a free copy of your report once a week through April 2022 at AnnualCreditReport.