Requesting a Security Freeze for a Minor Child’s Credit Report

Mother and daughter hugging in new house
Dear Experian,

I'm concerned that someone may use my minor child's identification information fraudulently and I want to take precautions. How can I request a security freeze on a minor's credit file?


Dear SRD,

In most cases, there will not be an existing credit file for a minor child. If Experian does not have a credit file for the minor, we will create one and add the freeze upon the request of a parent or legal guardian.

How to Request a Security Freeze for a Minor Child

If there is a credit file, we will add the security freeze and provide a copy of the report to you. Ideally, there will be no credit file on record, meaning your child has not been victimized. To request a security freeze for your minor child, please complete the minor request form and be prepared to submit the following information for both you and your child:

  • Full name
  • Social Security number
  • Complete addresses for the past two years
  • Date of birth

In addition, include for your identification:

  • One copy of a government issued identification card, such as a driver's license, state ID card, etc.
  • One copy of a utility bill, bank or insurance statement, etc.

You will also need to provide a copy of your child's birth certificate and a copy of their social security card. If you are the child's guardian, please provide a copy of the court document naming you as the guardian or other appropriate court appointed documents.

The request can be mailed to Experian Security Freeze, P.O. Box 9554, Allen, TX 75013, or sent by overnight mail to Experian, 701 Experian Parkway, Allen, TX 75013.

Once Experian receives the information, the security freeze will be added to the minor's Experian credit file within three business days.

Thanks for asking.

Rod Griffin, Director, Consumer Education and Awareness