At Experian, one of our priorities is consumer credit and finance education. This post may contain links and references to one or more of our partners, but we provide an objective view to help you make the best decisions. For more information, see our Editorial Policy.
Credit cards with an introductory 0% annual percentage rate (APR) are some of the best card offers around. They give you a period of time to help reduce interest you're paying, pay off balances faster and save on big purchases. Some cards offer a 0% intro APR on purchases, some just on balance transfers—and a handful will give you this great promotional rate on both purchases and transfers for a period of time.
The average American carries $5,315 in credit card debt, according to Experian data. If your credit card balance is higher than you'd like and you want a way to reduce the amount you pay interest—or just want some time to pay off a large purchase you're considering—check out our top choices for 0% intro APR credit cards from our partners. In addition to lengthy intro 0% APR periods, these cards offer benefits and perks worth a look.
2 Partner Offers
Chase Freedom Flex℠
With an introductory 0% APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months, up to 5% cash back, and an intro bonus worth $200 if you spend $500 on the card within the first 3 months of account opening, the Chase Freedom Flex℠ has much to offer. (After the promotional period, the variable APR is 14.99% to 23.74% depending on your credit. For balance transfers, cardholders will pay a balance transfer fee of either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater in the first 60 days.)
Earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined eligible purchases in rotating quarterly categories which could include wholesale clubs, internet and streaming services, gas stations and home improvement stores. You also receive 5% cash back on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards; 5% cash back on Lyft rides through March 31, 2022; 3% cash back on dining (including eligible takeout and delivery) and drugstores; and 1% cash back on all other purchases.
Chase Freedom Flex℠
14.99% - 23.74% Variable
5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate. Enjoy new 5% categories each quarter! Plus, earn 5% cash back on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3% on dining and drugstores, and 1% on all other purchases.
5% cash back on Travel
3% cash back on Dining
1% cash back on All Other Purchases
Earn a $200 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening!
- Earn a $200 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening.
- 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate. Enjoy new 5% categories each quarter!
- 5% cash back on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®; our premier rewards program that lets you redeem rewards for cash back, travel, gift cards and more.
- 3% cash back on drugstore purchases and dining at restaurants, including takeout and eligible delivery service, and unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- No minimum to redeem for cash back. You can choose to receive a statement credit or direct deposit into most U.S. checking and savings accounts. Cash Back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open!
- 0% Intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable APR of 14.99% - 23.74%.
- No annual fee – You won't have to pay an annual fee for all the great features that come with your Freedom FlexSM card
- Keep tabs on your credit health - Chase Credit Journey helps you monitor your credit with free access to your latest score, real-time alerts, and more.
Bank of America® Customized Cash Rewards Credit Card
This card offers an introductory 0% APR for 15 billing cycles for purchases and qualifying balance transfers made within the first 60 days of account opening. (After the promotion, a 13.99% to 23.99% variable APR applies.) The balance transfer fee is the greater of $10 or 3% of the transfer amount. But what really distinguishes the Bank of America® Customized Cash Rewards credit card is the chance to choose your own rewards categories. If you're a Bank of America customer, make sure to check out their Preferred Rewards Program.
You can earn 3% cash back on one category of your choice, including gas, online shopping, drugstores, home improvement/furnishings, dining or travel. Get rewarded for online shopping around the holidays or home furnishings when you redecorate. You can change your category once per calendar month. Get an automatic 2% cash back on grocery store and wholesale club purchases (up to $2,500 in combined quarterly purchases from your choice category, grocery stores and wholesale clubs) plus unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases. Spend $1,000 in the first 90 days of account opening and get a $200 online cash rewards bonus too. There is no annual fee.
You may be matched with this and other cards at Experian CreditMatch™
When to Use a 0% Intro APR Credit Card
A 0% intro APR credit card can help:
- Finance a big purchase. Use a card with a 0% intro APR on purchases and get lots of time to pay off your splurge interest-free.
- Pay down credit card debt. If the card offers a balance transfer promotion, you'll be able to transfer high-interest debt to the card and pay it off before the promotional period expires to save on interest.
- Consolidate balances. With multiple credit cards carrying balances, it's easy to miss due dates. Consolidate balances onto a 0% intro APR card that offers a balance transfer promotion to reduce interest and simplify payment.
How to Use 0% Intro APR Credit Cards
Credit cards with an introductory 0% APR on purchases let you make a purchase now and pay it off over the promotional period without paying interest. Those that additionally offer a balance transfer promotion let you transfer balances from one or more existing cards to the new card. In either case, pay off the balance before the promotional period ends, and you'll incur no interest.
Paying off your balance during the introductory period is key to saving with a 0% APR credit card. After that, any remaining balance accrues interest at the standard—potentially high—rate. Make at least minimum monthly payments during the promotional period, or you could lose your 0% APR.
How To Choose a 0% Intro APR Credit Card
When selecting 0% intro APR credit cards, consider:
- How will you use the card? Do you need an introductory APR on purchases, balance transfers or both?
- How long is the 0% introductory period? A longer promotional period gives you more time to pay off balances or purchases.
- What are the fees? Weigh balance transfer fees against potential savings in interest. Check for annual or foreign transaction fees too.
- When must you transfer a balance? Balance transfers must be initiated or completed (clarify which by reading the card's terms) within a certain time; don't miss your window.
- What is the APR after the promotional period expires? A lower ongoing APR is better.
- Are there any perks? Some cards offer both rewards and a 0% intro APR.
- What happens if you pay late? A late payment on some 0% intro APR cards bumps APR to the standard rate or an even higher penalty APR.
- How is interest charged? Know how different transactions are treated. Some, such as cash advances, might incur interest even during the promotional period.
- Where are you transferring a balance from? You usually can't transfer balances between cards from the same issuer.
Getting Approved for a 0% Intro APR Credit Card
You typically need good to excellent credit to get a 0% intro APR credit card. Before applying, review your credit report and credit score. Reducing debt, paying bills on time and not applying for new credit can help boost your score if needed—and get that 0% intro APR card into your wallet.