How to Lift a Security Freeze

How to Lift a Security Freeze loading="lazy"
Dear Experian,

How do I lift my freeze in your company?


Dear GSN,

When you placed a security freeze on your credit report, you were provided a personal identification number (PIN). If you wish to temporarily lift your freeze, you can do so online at Experian's Freeze Center using this PIN.

You have the option to either lift the freeze for a specified amount of time while you are applying for credit, or to obtain a single-use PIN that you can provide only to the company with which you are applying for credit. Doing so will allow only that creditor to access your report one time in order to process your application.

If you no longer wish to have a security freeze on your credit file, you can request permanent removal online at Experian's Freeze Center. You may also request removal by phone or by mail.

If you submit your request in writing, be sure to include the following information:

  • Full name
  • Complete address
  • Social security number
  • PIN
  • Copy of a government issued identification card, such as a driver's license, state ID card, etc.
  • Copy of a utility bill, bank or insurance statement, etc.
  • Thanks for asking.
    The "Ask Experian" team