Authorized User Who Has Declared Bankruptcy

Dear Experian,

If I add an authorized user who filed bankruptcy to my credit card, will that affect my credit scores?


Dear SDY,

Adding an authorized user to your account would not cause their prior bankruptcy to be added to your credit report. Your credit history and the credit history of the authorized user are completely separate and each includes only the accounts and public records that are in your name.

The account may be added to the authorized user's report because both of your names are now associated with the debt.

None of the authorized user's previous account history will be merged with your credit history because you are not associated with or responsible for any of the debt. The same is true of the bankruptcy public record.

And, of course, because the bankruptcy will not appear in your credit history, it will not affect your credit scores.

That said, there is always risk when adding someone as an authorized user to your account. Any charges made by an authorized user are still the responsibility of the primary cardholder. If the authorized user's charges increase your balances or you were unable to make the payments on time, your credit history would reflect the late payments and your credit scores would suffer.

Thanks for asking.
- The "Ask Experian" team

The purpose of this question submission tool is to provide general education on credit reporting. The Ask Experian team cannot respond to each question individually. However, if your question is of interest to a wide audience of consumers, the Experian team may include it in a future post and may also share responses in its social media outreach. If you have a question, others likely have the same question, too. By sharing your questions and our answers, we can help others as well.

Personal credit report disputes cannot be submitted through Ask Experian. To dispute information in your personal credit report, simply follow the instructions provided with it. Your personal credit report includes appropriate contact information including a website address, toll-free telephone number and mailing address.

To submit a dispute online visit Experian's Dispute Center. If you have a current copy of your personal credit report, simply enter the report number where indicated, and follow the instructions provided. If you do not have a current personal report, Experian will provide a free copy when you submit the information requested. Additionally, you may obtain a free copy of your report once a week through April 2022 at AnnualCreditReport.