How Do You Change Your Name on Your Credit Report?

Couple sitting on sofa using digital tablet

Dear Experian,

I have changed my name through naturalization. How can I change my name in my credit report?


Dear SLY,

All you have to do to have your name changed on your credit report is have your creditors change the name attached to your existing accounts. Your new name will be added to your credit file automatically when the account information is next reported by your creditors, usually after the end of the billing cycle. Opening a new account using your new name will also cause it to be added to your credit history when it is reported by the new lender.

Be consistent with the new name you provide to your lenders and anytime you apply for new credit or services.

You can check to see if your new name has already been reported by requesting your free credit report from Experian. You can also get a free copy of your credit report from each of the three credit reporting companies at

Previous Names Will Still Appear on Your Credit Report

Your previous name will continue to show up on your credit report, but your new name will become the primary name on the report. Experian lists all names and name variations associated with your identifying information to help make sure your account records are matched up to your report correctly. Doing so also gives you a complete and accurate record of what your lenders are providing, which could enable you to identify potential fraud.

Personal Identification Information Does Not Impact Credit Scores

Personal information, such as names, addresses, phone numbers, date of birth and employer names, does not impact your creditworthiness or your credit scores. Your credit report may show any names you have used in the past and any addresses where you have received mail, including P.O. boxes, work addresses or even a friend's or family member's house. It may also show previous phone numbers or previous employer information.

If you see personal information that is listed incorrectly or that you do not recognize, you can dispute that information online using Experian's Dispute Center.

Thanks for asking.

Jennifer White, Consumer Education Specialist