Tampering with Mail is a Federal Crime and Fraud Risk

Tampering with Mail is a Federal Crime and Fraud Risk article image.
Dear Experian,

Lately, someone has been tampering with my family's mail. Mail pieces that contain card-like shapes have been rubbed down so that an impression of the card shows through on the outside of the envelope, and the mail piece containing my wife's renewed driver's license arrived opened (or at least unsealed). What should I do?


Dear YSS,

The first thing you should do is contact the U.S. Postal Inspection Service. You can find the local number in your telephone book, on the Internet, or by visiting your local U.S. Post Office.

Tampering with U.S. mail is a violation of federal law, and the Postal Inspection Service will be able to advise you on how such matters are investigated and prosecuted.

The Department of Motor Vehicles for your state might have special processes to reissue the driver's license with a new number so that the one in the open envelope cannot be used for fraudulent purposes. Your local DMV office should be able to tell you if that is the case.

Contact the credit card companies about the envelopes that had been rubbed to obtain the account numbers. They possibly could issue new cards with new numbers as a precaution against fraud. Review all of your account statements carefully for signs that fraudulent charges were made.

You also should review copies of your credit reports. If there is any indication of credit fraud or identity theft you can add a security alert to help stop further activity. You also will be able contact those lenders to notify them of the fraud and close the accounts.

Finally, to prevent future tampering, you might consider a lockable mailbox. Contact the U.S. Postal Service for more information about your delivery options.

Thanks for asking.
- The "Ask Experian" team

The purpose of this question submission tool is to provide general education on credit reporting. The Ask Experian team cannot respond to each question individually. However, if your question is of interest to a wide audience of consumers, the Experian team may include it in a future post and may also share responses in its social media outreach. If you have a question, others likely have the same question, too. By sharing your questions and our answers, we can help others as well.

Personal credit report disputes cannot be submitted through Ask Experian. To dispute information in your personal credit report, simply follow the instructions provided with it. Your personal credit report includes appropriate contact information including a website address, toll-free telephone number and mailing address.

To submit a dispute online visit Experian's Dispute Center. If you have a current copy of your personal credit report, simply enter the report number where indicated, and follow the instructions provided. If you do not have a current personal report, Experian will provide a free copy when you submit the information requested. Additionally, you may obtain a free copy of your report once a week through December 31, 2022 at AnnualCreditReport.