The average cost of a gallon of gasoline is $3.42 in the U.S., based on November 2021 data from AAA. That's a far cry from the $2.12 average from the same time a year ago. And depending on where you live, the price can be much higher.
In California, for instance, the average is $4.62 per gallon, and in Hawaii, it's $4.35. But regardless of where you live and how much fuel costs, there are several apps that can help you save money by showing you the cheapest prices in your area and possibly even offering rewards.
What Is the Best App for Saving Money on Gas?
There are many different types of apps that can help reduce how much an individual or business spends on gasoline and diesel fuel. They include apps that can help you find the best prices, apps that offer fuel rewards and apps that help lower your gasoline consumption.
Some apps even combine a number of those features. Here's a quick breakdown of some of the top options to consider.
Apps That Help You Find the Lowest Gas Prices
- Gas Guru: Available on Android and iOS, Gas Guru allows you to compare gas prices wherever you are. You can filter based on fuel grade and the amenities provided by each station, and also label and save your favorite locations for easy access.
- iExit: Designed for interstate travel, the iExit app will show you exits ahead and help you find gas, food and accommodations based on your needs. The app is available for iOS and Android.
- RoadAhead Highway Exit Finder: Like iExit, this app will provide you with all the information you need about upcoming exits when you're traveling on the highway. That includes fuel, food, lodging, landmarks and more. It's only available on iOS, though.
- Waze: While it's primarily a navigation app, Waze also allows you to search and filter local gas stations by distance, price and brand. You can even link your Waze app to fuel partner apps to make contactless payments. It's available on iOS and Android.
- MapQuest: Yes, MapQuest is still kicking, and it has a mobile app for iOS and Android that can help you find low gas prices in your area and along your route.
- Fuelio: Fuelio, which is available on Android and iOS, is a vehicle management app that helps you keep track of your mileage, gas consumption, fuel costs and more. That includes crowdsourced information about gas prices in your area.
- Drivvo: You can use this car management app to find and compare gas prices in your area, but it doesn't break it down by fuel grade. It also provides other features, such as the ability to record expenses, track mileage and service, and more. You can get it on iOS and Android.
- Geico Mobile App: If you have an auto insurance policy with Geico, you can use the app to find gas prices nearby. You can filter based on price and distance, and you'll be able to see prices by fuel grade. You can get the app on the App Store or Google Play Store.
Apps That Offer Fuel Rewards
- GetUpside: This app, which is available for both Android and iOS, offers up to 25 cents off per gallon every time you get fuel. Simply search the app for local offers and claim the one you want, pay as you usually would and scan the receipt to get credit. It also works for dining out and groceries.
- Murphy Drive Rewards: If you regularly use Murphy USA gas stations to fuel up, you'll earn points every time you make a purchase with this app. Save up your points, and you can get free snacks and up to $1 off per gallon of fuel for up to 20 gallons. The app is available in the App Store and Google Play Store.
- BPme Rewards: Download the app, and you'll save 5 cents per gallon at BP fuel stations for the first month, then every month after that in which you spend at least $100 on fuel. The app also includes special bonus offers you can take advantage of from time to time. The BPme app is available on iOS and Android.
- Shell Fuel Rewards: This rewards program for Shell automatically gives you up to 5 cents per gallon off at Shell locations. You can also earn additional rewards when you dine out, shop online, buy concert tickets and more. The app is available on Android and iOS.
- Exxon Mobil Rewards+: You'll earn a minimum of 3 cents per gallon in points at the pump and 2 cents per gallon in points on in-store purchases. Earn 100 points and get $1 in savings. You can even stack your savings with an AARP membership and frequent filler bonuses to get up to 8 cents off per gallon. Get the app on the App Store or Google Play Store.
- Speedway: The gas station chain's mobile app offers 10 points per gallon on fuel and 20 points per dollar spent on merchandise in the store. You can redeem those points in-store or at the pump. Get it on iOS or Android.
Gas Apps That Do Both
- GasBuddy: GasBuddy makes it easy to find local gas prices and earn gas rewards when you shop, dine and park with local partners. Get the GasBuddy card, and you'll get up to 25 cents off per gallon. You can get it on the App Store and Google Play Store.
- AAA Mobile: The AAA Mobile app provides a number of features for AAA members, including the ability to search for the cheapest gas prices in your area. In some cases, you may be able to enjoy member discounts. You can get the app on Android and iOS.
The Bottom Line
Gas is a major expense for many households, especially if you have a long commute. If you're not already using a gas app, consider downloading some to test them out. Compare what they have to offer in terms of helping you find cheaper gas and providing rewards when you fill up.