Security Freeze Basics

man in white shirt holding a paper and looking in thought

What Is a Security Freeze?

A security freeze, also sometimes known as a credit freeze, is a step you can take to limit the release of your credit report if credit, loans or services are being opened in your name without your permission. You will need to request a freeze with Experian and the other credit reporting companies (TransUnion and Equifax) separately. It's important to know that if you place a security freeze on your credit file, it will limit new businesses' ability to obtain a copy of your credit report in connection with any new applications for credit. Before you apply for new credit, you will need to temporarily lift the security freeze following the procedures below.

How Do I Set Up a Security Freeze?

The process to place a security freeze on your Experian credit file requires that you directly contact us online, by phone or through the mail.

Types of information you should be prepared with when placing a security freeze for the first time or requesting a security freeze by mail include:

  • Your full name, including middle initial and suffix, such as Jr., Sr., II, III
  • Social Security number
  • Date of birth
  • Current address
  • Complete addresses for the past two years
  • Email address
  • A copy of a government-issued identification card, such as a driver's license or state ID card
  • A copy of a utility bill, bank or insurance statement, etc.


Experian -




P.O. Box 9554
Allen, TX 75013

How Do I Remove the Security Freeze?

To remove the security freeze, temporarily or permanently, log in or create an Experian account to update your security freeze status to "unfrozen."

The purpose of this question submission tool is to provide general education on credit reporting. The Ask Experian team cannot respond to each question individually. However, if your question is of interest to a wide audience of consumers, the Experian team may include it in a future post and may also share responses in its social media outreach. If you have a question, others likely have the same question, too. By sharing your questions and our answers, we can help others as well.

Personal credit report disputes cannot be submitted through Ask Experian. To dispute information in your personal credit report, simply follow the instructions provided with it. Your personal credit report includes appropriate contact information including a website address, toll-free telephone number and mailing address.

To submit a dispute online visit Experian's Dispute Center. If you have a current copy of your personal credit report, simply enter the report number where indicated, and follow the instructions provided. If you do not have a current personal report, Experian will provide a free copy when you submit the information requested. Additionally, you may obtain a free copy of your report once a week through April 2022 at AnnualCreditReport.