At Experian, one of our priorities is consumer credit and finance education. This post may contain links and references to one or more of our partners, but we provide an objective view to help you make the best decisions. For more information, see our Editorial Policy.
In this article:
The Wells Fargo Active Cash® Card (Rates & Fees) is a well-rounded offering with unlimited 2% cash back rewards on purchases and no annual fee. New cardholders may qualify for an intro bonus and introductory financing offers—standout benefits that might make this card a better option than its competitors.
Wells Fargo Active Cash® Card
16.49%, 21.49%, or 26.49% variable APR
Earn unlimited 2% cash rewards on purchases
Earn a $200 cash rewards bonus after spending $1,000 in purchases in the first 3 months
- Earn a $200 cash rewards bonus after spending $1,000 in purchases in the first 3 months
- Earn unlimited 2% cash rewards on purchases
- 0% intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases and qualifying balance transfers, then a 16.49%, 21.49%, or 26.49% variable APR; balance transfers made within 120 days qualify for the intro rate and fee of 3% then a BT fee of up to 5%, min: $5
- $0 annual fee
- No categories to track or remember and cash rewards don't expire as long as your account remains open
- Enjoy a premium collection of benefits at a selection of the world's most intriguing and prestigious hotel properties with Visa Signature Concierge
- Get up to $600 protection on your cell phone (subject to $25 deductible) against covered damage or theft when you pay your monthly cellular telephone bill with your Wells Fargo Active Cash® Card
- Select “Apply Now” to learn more about the product features, terms and conditions
- Matched For You are statements made by Experian and may not reflect Wells Fargo’s underwriting standards
|Earn unlimited 2% cash back on purchases||Other cards offer higher bonus earning in certain categories|
|No annual fee||Foreign currency conversion fees|
|Intro offers for new cardholders||May not be the best for balance transfers|
|Wells Fargo Card Services|
P.O. Box 51193
Los Angeles, CA 90051-5493
The Wells Fargo Active Cash® Card's 2% rewards rate and lack of an annual fee put it in line with some of the best flat-rate cash back cards available. The card's intro bonus and promotional annual percentage rate (APR) offers—and its many cardholder benefits—may push it ahead of the pack. For added benefits, check out the Wells Fargo Mobile App Review.
A Simple Cash Back Program
Flat-rate cash back cards can be a great fit for people who want to earn rewards but don't want to deal with a complex rewards program.
When you use the Wells Fargo Active Cash® Card, you don't have to activate your rewards, track changing categories or consider which categories offer bonus rewards. Instead, you simply earn an unlimited 2% cash back on all purchases—a good rate for a flat-rate rewards card.
You'll use the Wells Fargo Rewards program to redeem your cash rewards, and you can do so in several ways:
- Cover card purchases. You can use your cash rewards to get a credit that covers a purchase you made with the Wells Fargo Active Cash® Card. Redemptions start at $1, but you need to have enough rewards to cover the entire transaction.
- Pay down debts. You can use the cash back rewards to pay down the principal balance of an eligible Wells Fargo mortgage, loan or other credit product. The redemption must be in $25 increments, and you may still need to make your regular payment.
- Get cash redemptions. Request a check or have your rewards directly deposited into an eligible Wells Fargo checking or savings account in $25 increments. Or, use a Wells Fargo debit or ATM card to withdraw your rewards or move them into an eligible Wells Fargo account in $20 increments.
You can also redeem your rewards for charitable donations, merchandise, gift cards and to book travel.
No Annual Fee and Competitive Intro Offers
Adding to its simplicity—and value—the Wells Fargo Active Cash® Card doesn't have an annual fee. And new cardholders may benefit from several competitive intro offers:
- Earn $200 cash rewards after making $1,000 in purchases within 3 months of opening your account.
- Get an introductory 0% APR on purchases and qualifying balance transfers for 15 months from account opening. After the intro period ends, you'll have a 16.49%, 21.49%, or 26.49% variable APR applied.
The intro APRs on purchases and qualifying balance transfers last for 15 months from when you open your account. You can use these interest rate offers to finance a large purchase or pay down debts you transfer without accruing interest.
Be aware that the intro 0% balance transfer APR will only apply to balance transfers that are requested within 120 days of opening your account. After the promotional period ends, your card's variable APR will apply to any remaining balances. The balance transfer fee is 3% for the first 120 days, then up to 5%, with a $5 minimum in either case.
Other cards may offer longer introductory promotional interest rate periods, but few also have a high flat-rate rewards rate.
Cellphone Protection and Other Benefits
In addition to the rewards and intro offers, Wells Fargo Active Cash® Card cardholders receive ongoing benefits:
- Cellphone protection: Get up to $600 worth of protection if you pay your monthly cellphone bill with your Wells Fargo Active Cash® Card. The policy can help cover your expenses if your phone is stolen or damaged. However, the insurance protection is secondary to other policies, there's a $25 deductible per claim and you can file a maximum of two claims per 12 months.
- Visa Signature Hotel perks: The Wells Fargo Active Cash® Card is a Visa Signature card, which will give you access to the Visa Signature Luxury Hotel Collection. You can get extra benefits when you use your card to book eligible hotels, such as complimentary breakfast, food or beverage credits and automatic room upgrades.
- Concierge service: You'll also get complimentary access to the Visa Signature Concierge Service. You can call or email a concierge at any time to ask for help with travel planning, dining reservations, booking entertainment and other types of personal assistance.
The Wells Fargo Active Cash® Card also has other purchase and insurance benefits, such as zero liability protection and emergency card replacement.
You can add an authorized user to your Wells Fargo Active Cash® Card by signing into your online account and requesting to add an authorized user in the account management section. You don't have to pay a fee to add an authorized user, but you are responsible for any transactions they initiate.
Is This Card Right for You?
The Wells Fargo Active Cash® Card could be a good fit if you're looking for a flat-rate cash back card. It offers an intro cash back bonus, which is especially appealing considering its ongoing 2% cash back rate on purchases. There's also no annual fee to worry about and promotional interest rates that could help save you money.