Update the Mailing Address on Your Credit Report

Couple sitting on sofa using digital tablet
Dear Experian,

I don't have any open credit accounts, so how do I inform Experian of my new home address?


Dear VLK,

In most cases, reporting a change of address isn't necessary. If you move, you will update your address with your creditors, and they will automatically provide the updated information to Experian when they update your accounts.

Because you have no open accounts, you can update your address with Experian directly by mailing proof of the new address, along with a copy of your driver's license or state ID.

You may send copies of two utility bills, such as an electric bill and a phone bill showing your name and address, or a copy of a utility bill and a copy of a bank statement, along with a short note stating you have moved and would like your new address added to your credit report. Along with the documentation provide full identifying information including your name, Social Security number and previous address.

Your personal credit report will include a mailing address to send the information. If your identifying address doesn't match sufficiently to provide the report, including the address, you will receive complete instructions regarding what information and documentation you need to provide and where you need to mail it.

Thanks for asking.
The "Ask Experian" team

The purpose of this question submission tool is to provide general education on credit reporting. The Ask Experian team cannot respond to each question individually. However, if your question is of interest to a wide audience of consumers, the Experian team may include it in a future post and may also share responses in its social media outreach. If you have a question, others likely have the same question, too. By sharing your questions and our answers, we can help others as well.

Personal credit report disputes cannot be submitted through Ask Experian. To dispute information in your personal credit report, simply follow the instructions provided with it. Your personal credit report includes appropriate contact information including a website address, toll-free telephone number and mailing address.

To submit a dispute online visit Experian's Dispute Center. If you have a current copy of your personal credit report, simply enter the report number where indicated, and follow the instructions provided. If you do not have a current personal report, Experian will provide a free copy when you submit the information requested. Additionally, you may obtain a free copy of your report once a week through December 31, 2022 at AnnualCreditReport.