Tax ID Numbers Do Not Replace Social Security Numbers

Pensive man at laptop in home office
Dear Experian,

I do not have a Social Security number. Instead, I have an EIN number. Does the EIN number replace a Social Security number when placing a fraud alert?


Dear NKO,

An Employer Identification Number (EIN) is assigned only to an employer, not to an individual. As the name implies, an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) is issued to an individual for taxation purposes. Neither are included in a credit report and if used would be recognized as an invalid Social Security number.

However, you don't need an EIN, ITIN or even a Social Security number to have a credit report.

A Social Security number is very helpful when compiling your credit history because it is the only identifier uniquely assigned to each U.S. consumer. And, if present in the credit report, it is required when requesting your own report from Experian to ensure that we provide you the correct report. However, if a Social Security number is not reported for you, Experian will rely on other identification elements to compile your credit history.

Those identifying elements include your name, any name variations reported as belonging to you, and your current and previous addresses.

If you have an established credit history, you can add a fraud alert, even if you don't have a Social Security number.

An initial security alert lasts twelve months and alerts lenders to take steps to verify your identity because you have reason to believe you may be a victim of fraud. A victim statement lasts seven years and states you are a victim of identity theft. You must file an identity theft report with a valid agency, such as your local police department, before adding a victim statement.

Thanks for asking.
The "Ask Experian" team

The purpose of this question submission tool is to provide general education on credit reporting. The Ask Experian team cannot respond to each question individually. However, if your question is of interest to a wide audience of consumers, the Experian team may include it in a future post and may also share responses in its social media outreach. If you have a question, others likely have the same question, too. By sharing your questions and our answers, we can help others as well.

Personal credit report disputes cannot be submitted through Ask Experian. To dispute information in your personal credit report, simply follow the instructions provided with it. Your personal credit report includes appropriate contact information including a website address, toll-free telephone number and mailing address.

To submit a dispute online visit Experian's Dispute Center. If you have a current copy of your personal credit report, simply enter the report number where indicated, and follow the instructions provided. If you do not have a current personal report, Experian will provide a free copy when you submit the information requested. Additionally, you may obtain a free copy of your report once a week through April 2022 at AnnualCreditReport.