Settled Accounts on Your Credit Report

CAPS - View Report, Dispute
Dear Experian,

I recently paid a settlement on a delinquent account. I have the release letters and was told I can send them in directly in order to have the information removed from my credit report. Can you tell me how to do this?


Dear KJF,

When you settle an account, the information will be updated on your credit report to show that the balance is zero and that the account has been settled for less than the full balance owed. However, the account and history of delinquencies will still remain on the report for seven years from the original delinquency date. Anytime you settle an account for less than the full balance, it is considered negative because the creditor agreed to take a loss and accept less than the full amount owed.

Typically, your creditor will automatically update the account during its next reporting cycle.

You can also dispute the status of the account and send documentation to Experian electronically at You also can mail copies to the address listed on your credit report. Please include your name, address, and Social Security number. Once we receive the documentation, we will update the account accordingly.

Thanks for asking.
The "Ask Experian" team

The purpose of this question submission tool is to provide general education on credit reporting. The Ask Experian team cannot respond to each question individually. However, if your question is of interest to a wide audience of consumers, the Experian team may include it in a future post and may also share responses in its social media outreach. If you have a question, others likely have the same question, too. By sharing your questions and our answers, we can help others as well.

Personal credit report disputes cannot be submitted through Ask Experian. To dispute information in your personal credit report, simply follow the instructions provided with it. Your personal credit report includes appropriate contact information including a website address, toll-free telephone number and mailing address.

To submit a dispute online visit Experian's Dispute Center. If you have a current copy of your personal credit report, simply enter the report number where indicated, and follow the instructions provided. If you do not have a current personal report, Experian will provide a free copy when you submit the information requested. Additionally, you may obtain a free copy of your report once a week through April 2022 at AnnualCreditReport.