At Experian, one of our priorities is consumer credit and finance education. This post may contain links and references to one or more of our partners, but we provide an objective view to help you make the best decisions. For more information, see our Editorial Policy.
In this article:
The new Chase Freedom Flex℠ is the latest addition to Chase's lineup of Chase Ultimate Rewards cards. It lives up to its name with a flexible variety of rewards opportunities, cardholder perks and redemption options. And, without an annual fee to worry about, it could be a good card on its own or when used in combination with other Ultimate Rewards credit cards.
Chase Freedom Flex℠
15.24% - 23.99% Variable
5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate. Enjoy new 5% categories each quarter! Plus, earn 5% cash back on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3% on dining and drugstores, and 1% on all other purchases.
5% cash back on Travel
3% cash back on Dining
1% cash back on All Other Purchases
Earn a $200 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening!
- Earn a $200 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening.
- 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate. Enjoy new 5% categories each quarter!
- 5% cash back on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®; our premier rewards program that lets you redeem rewards for cash back, travel, gift cards and more
- 3% cash back on drugstore purchases and dining at restaurants, including takeout and eligible delivery service, and unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- No minimum to redeem for cash back. You can choose to receive a statement credit or direct deposit into most U.S. checking and savings accounts. Cash Back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open!
- 0% Intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable APR of 15.24% - 23.99%.
- No annual fee - You won't have to pay an annual fee for all the great features that come with your Freedom Flex℠ card
- Keep tabs on your credit health - Chase Credit Journey helps you monitor your credit with free access to your latest score, real-time alerts, and more.
|No annual fee||Foreign transaction fee|
|Bonus rewards on rotating categories||You need to activate the bonus each quarter and don't get to pick the categories|
|Bonus rewards on dining, drugstores and travel purchases through Chase Ultimate Rewards||Tiered and rotating rewards can be more difficult to manage than flat-rate rewards|
|Two intro offers for new cardholders|
|Chase Customer Service|
800-432-3117P.O. Box 15298
Wilmington, DE 19850
The Chase Freedom Flex℠ offers an appealing intro bonus to eligible new cardholders and multiple bonus rewards rates for ongoing purchases. Considering there's no annual fee and flexible redemption opportunities, it's a welcome addition to the short list of rotating rewards credit cards.
Three Cash Back Rewards Rates
The Chase Freedom Flex℠ card combines tiered rewards rates with rotating category bonuses to expand cash back earning opportunities for cardholders. Using the card, you can earn:
- 5% on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in designated bonus categories each quarter when you activate.
- 5% when making travel purchases through Chase Ultimate Rewards.
- 3% on dining, including purchases at restaurants, takeout and orders from eligible delivery services.
- 3% on purchases from drugstores.
- 1% on other eligible purchases.
With rotating rewards cards the card issuer chooses the available bonus categories and there's often a cap on how much you can earn each quarter. You also may need to remember to enroll in the new bonus categories each quarter to earn the bonus rate. It can be a lot to keep track of, and some people prefer the simplicity of earning the same rewards on every purchase or having bonus categories that don't change throughout the year.
Intro Bonus for New Cardholders
The Chase Freedom Flex℠ is made even more appealing by the intro offer new cardholders can receive. You can earn a $200 bonus if you make $500 worth of purchases during your first 3 months with the card.
To be eligible, you can't already have the card, and you can't have received a new cardmember bonus for the card within the past 24 months. (In other words, you can't receive the intro bonus multiple times if you apply for the card more than once.)
Flexible Redemption Options
While the Chase Freedom Flex℠ is often called a cash back card, you'll earn rewards as Chase Ultimate Rewards points. You can redeem these for cash back and get 1 cent per point. Or, you can choose from other redemption options, such as getting gift cards or booking travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards.
Using Chase's Pay Yourself Back program, you can also use your points to offset part or all of previous eligible transactions. With the Chase Freedom Flex℠ you can use this to offset charitable contributions, and your points will be worth 1.25 cents each if you choose to redeem them this way.
You can also combine the points you earn with your Chase Freedom Flex℠ and other Chase Ultimate Rewards credit cards to potentially increase their value.
Partner Perks and Benefits
Chase Freedom Flex℠ cardholders also receive a variety of perks and benefits from Chase and Mastercard. The current partnership perks from Chase include:
- Earn 5% cash back on Lyft rides through March 2022.
The Mastercard World Elite® benefits include:
- A $10 Lyft credit (once per month) if you pay for five rides during the month.
- 5% cash rewards on Boxed Wholesale purchases for use on future purchases.
- A ShopRunner membership, which gives you two-day shipping at select retailers.
- As long as you pay your cellphone bill with your card, you can get up to $1,000 in annual coverage ($800 maximum per claim, up to two claims each year) if your cellphone is stolen or damaged. This coverage carries a $50 deductible per claim.
Additionally, the card has several purchase and travel protections, including purchase protection, extended warranties and trip cancellation and interruption insurance.
You'll also be able to manage your account from Chase's mobile app, which is available on iPhone and Android phones. From the app, you can check your balance, review transactions, lock your card, add travel notifications, make a payment and add savings offers to your account. You can also activate and review the current bonus rewards categories.
|Purchase and Balance Transfer APR: 0% for 15 months, then 15.24% - 23.99% Variable||Grace period: 21 days|
|Transfer APR: 15.24% - 23.99% Variable||Annual fee: $0|
|Cash advance APR: 25.24% Variable||Balance transfer fee: 5% ($5 minimum)|
|Minimum interest charge: None||Cash advance fee: 5% ($10 minimum)|
|Foreign transaction fee: 3%|
|Late payment fee: Up to $40|
|Returned payment fee: Up to $40|
There's no fee to add an authorized user to your Chase Freedom Flex℠ account. The authorized user will receive a credit card that's tied to your account and you'll be responsible for the entire bill from both credit cards' transactions. But you'll also get all the rewards points from those transactions.
The authorized user's card will receive many of the same benefits as the primary cardholder's card. However, the free three-month DashPass membership can only be activated once. Whoever activates the offer first locks in the DashPass membership under their name.
Is This Card Right for You?
If you're looking for a rewards card that doesn't have an annual fee, the Chase Freedom Flex℠ is certainly a top contender. The rotating and tiered bonus rewards, intro offers and redemption options help the card live up to the "flex" name. However, it's not perfect for everyone. You'll pay a foreign transaction fee on international purchases, and you'll need to activate and remember the changing bonus categories each quarter to make the most of the card, which some might find complicated.