Dispute an Incorrect Address on Your Credit Report

woman sitting looking at tablet screen
Dear Experian,

There is an address on my credit report at which I never resided. How do I get that removed or corrected?


Dear MLA,

Your credit report may list any address associated with an account with which you are associated. This means that if you are a joint account holder or an authorized user on an account and the bills are sent to someone else's address, that address could appear on your report as well. Additionally, your report may list any address where you have received mail, such as a P.O. Box or work address, even if you never lived there.

Addresses do not have an effect on your creditworthiness or your credit scores. If there is an address on your credit report that you are unfamiliar with, contact Experian following the instructions on your credit report to request more information and determine which creditor reported the address. If the address is associated with one of your accounts, you can then contact that creditor to obtain more information and to have them correct the address they have for you in their records.

You may also request that the address be removed from your credit report by disputing it with Experian. You can dispute by mail, telephone, or via the Internet. As long as the address is not associated with any of your accounts, Experian can remove it at your request.

Thanks for asking.
The "Ask Experian" team