Can Creditors Garnish My Wages?

woman sitting on the floor surrounded by papers in front of an open laptop
Dear Experian,

Can a creditor still garnish your wages even though the account is showing "closed" on my credit report? The account shows as, "Charged off as bad debt. Profit and loss write-off."


Dear SMC,

When an account is seriously past due, the creditor may obtain a court order allowing them to garnish your wages to collect the amount they are owed. In addition to federal law, there are also state laws that regulate wage garnishment. These laws may vary from state to state. Check with your state Attorney General's office for details about the laws where you live.

A Charge Off Does Not Mean the Debt is No Longer Owed

The term "charged off," simply means the debt was so past due that the creditor no longer felt it was likely that they would receive further payment and chose to write the account off as a loss for tax purposes.

This does not mean that you no longer owe the debt. The creditor can still attempt to collect the debt. One way they may be able do so is through wage garnishment.

Wages May Also Be Garnished by Collection Agency

In some cases, the creditor may choose to sell the debt to a collection agency instead. If the collection company also reports to Experian, you will likely see both the original creditor account and the collection agency account appearing on your credit report.

Once an account is sold to a collection company, the original creditor can no longer attempt to collect the debt. Instead, the collection agency will take over any collection efforts. As with the original creditor, the collection agency may seek wage garnishment if the debt is not paid.

Thanks for asking,
The Ask Experian Team

The purpose of this question submission tool is to provide general education on credit reporting. The Ask Experian team cannot respond to each question individually. However, if your question is of interest to a wide audience of consumers, the Experian team may include it in a future post and may also share responses in its social media outreach. If you have a question, others likely have the same question, too. By sharing your questions and our answers, we can help others as well.

Personal credit report disputes cannot be submitted through Ask Experian. To dispute information in your personal credit report, simply follow the instructions provided with it. Your personal credit report includes appropriate contact information including a website address, toll-free telephone number and mailing address.

To submit a dispute online visit Experian's Dispute Center. If you have a current copy of your personal credit report, simply enter the report number where indicated, and follow the instructions provided. If you do not have a current personal report, Experian will provide a free copy when you submit the information requested. Additionally, you may obtain a free copy of your report once a week through December 31, 2022 at AnnualCreditReport.