Personal Finance

How to Find Your Social Security Number

Dear Experian,

I want a replacement PIN for my security freeze. You asked me to mail in a document with my Social Security number -- there are no other documents that have my SSN on them. I am 61 years old. I don't think I ever had a Social Security card. Can you find a way to get me that replacement PIN without that impossible document?


Dear AOM,

Your Social Security number is needed in many instances, including obtaining employment, filing taxes, and may even be requested when receiving medical care. It is also an essential component of the personal identification information used when accessing and compiling your credit history information.

How Do I Find My Social Security Number?

For security reasons, there may be instances where you are asked to supply a copy of your Social Security card when contacting Experian. If you are unsure of your Social Security number or you need to obtain your Social Security card, you should contact the Social Security Administration. They can explain which documents you will need to provide in order to receive a replacement card. For more information, you can review the Social Security Administration's FAQs.

If you visit your local Social Security Administration office in person, they may be able to issue you temporary documentation verifying your Social Security number that you can keep on hand while you wait for your new card to come in the mail.

If you have requested a replacement card and have not yet received it, you may be able to submit a copy of the temporary document from the Social Security Administration to Experian in its place.

Requesting a Replacement PIN for a Security Freeze

For further assistance and information on requesting a replacement PIN, you can contact Experian directly at 1-888-397-3742 and ask to speak to a Fraud representative. You can also find more information on the security freeze process online at Experian's Freeze Center.

The request to send documentation of your Social Security number suggests that there may be some issue with sufficiently matching your identification information. While it may seem like an inconvenience, a request to provide additional documentation is made to protect you from potential fraud or identity theft.

Thank you for asking,
The "Ask Experian" Team