How to Obtain a Deceased Person’s Credit Report

Bouquet of white flowers lying on a wood

Experian, TransUnion and Equifax now offer all U.S. consumers free weekly credit reports through

Dear Experian,

I am the personal representative for my brother's estate. I'm trying to identify his active credit accounts so that I can compile a list of creditors for the estate. Is it possible for the estate executor to order a credit report for the deceased?


Dear NJN,

We are sorry for your loss.

You are correct that ordering your deceased brother's credit report is a good way to help ensure you have a complete list of creditors for his estate. You can mail a request for a copy of your brother's credit along with a copy of the death certificate and proof that you are authorized to act on his behalf, such as a copy of a legal document with a court seal indicating you are the executor of the estate. Send the request to:

P.O. Box 4500
Allen, TX 75013

You can also submit the death certificate and any necessary documents online along with your request for his report.

Once Experian receives the death certificate, we will add a "deceased indicator" to your brother's credit file. This will help prevent any fraudulent activity using his identity. If someone tries to apply for credit or other services using his information, the lender will see the deceased statement and know that the application is the result of identity theft.

Requesting a Credit Report from Each Credit Reporting Company

When compiling the list of debts, keep in mind that not all creditors report to each of the credit reporting agencies, so it may be a good idea to request his reports from Equifax and Trans Union as well.

Even then, some creditors may choose not to report at all, so it is possible that he could have debts that do not appear on a credit report at all.

Notify Lenders So Accounts Can Be Updated

In addition to Experian, be sure to contact every company your brother may have done business with and notify them of his death, even if he has no outstanding balance with them. The lenders will update the accounts so that no one can use them fraudulently.

You should also notify the Social Security Administration so that they can update his Social Security number to show deceased. Doing so will help prevent criminals from using his Social Security number to commit identity theft.

Thanks for asking,
Jennifer White, Consumer Education Specialist