Requesting a Credit Report for a Minor

Mother and daughter relaxing in living room
Dear Experian,

How can I get a copy of my son's credit report? I believe that his father may have tried to get credit in his name. We are divorced, and he lives in a different state. I just want to protect my child. I received a card for him at my home that we never applied for.


Dear RNS,

If you are concerned that someone may have used your minor child's identification information fraudulently, you are wise to take precautions. You can obtain a copy of your son's credit report by sending a written request to Experian along with documentation showing that you are the child's parent or legal guardian. You will need to provide the following:

  • a copy of a government-issued identification card for yourself, such as a driver's license, State ID card or military ID card.
  • proof of your address (such as a copy of a utility bill, bank statement or insurance statement, that shows your name at your current mailing address)
  • a copy of your child's birth certificate
  • a copy of your child's Social Security card

Please also include a note explaining your request. We will check our records to determine if there is credit record for your son. If we are unable to locate a record for your son, we will send you a letter stating that we have no record in our files. If, in fact, your child does have a credit record, we can send you a copy, as well as place a security alert on his file that will alert creditors that someone may be trying to use his information fraudulently.

For more information, go to Experian's Fraud Center and see "Minor Child Instructions", to find a form and mailing address.

Contacting the three major credit reporting agencies is a good first step in determining whether or not anyone is using your son's information to commit identity fraud. If it turns out that he has a credit file, it is also a good idea to contact any creditors that are listed in the report to notify them that the accounts are fraudulent. They can then check their records for his SSN on any other accounts.

If you discover signs of fraud, you should also file a police report stating your child is a fraud victim. Having a copy of a police report available can be helpful in speeding the fraud recovery process.

Thanks for asking.
- The "Ask Experian" team

The purpose of this question submission tool is to provide general education on credit reporting. The Ask Experian team cannot respond to each question individually. However, if your question is of interest to a wide audience of consumers, the Experian team may include it in a future post and may also share responses in its social media outreach. If you have a question, others likely have the same question, too. By sharing your questions and our answers, we can help others as well.

Personal credit report disputes cannot be submitted through Ask Experian. To dispute information in your personal credit report, simply follow the instructions provided with it. Your personal credit report includes appropriate contact information including a website address, toll-free telephone number and mailing address.

To submit a dispute online visit Experian's Dispute Center. If you have a current copy of your personal credit report, simply enter the report number where indicated, and follow the instructions provided. If you do not have a current personal report, Experian will provide a free copy when you submit the information requested. Additionally, you may obtain a free copy of your report once a week through December 31, 2022 at AnnualCreditReport.