On March 16, CMS released three special edition MLN Matters articles on submitting claims to MACs for chiropractic services provided to Medicare beneficiaries.
- Special edition MLN Matters article SE 1601 helps clarify the CMS policy regarding Medicare coverage of chiropractic services and documentation requirements for the beneficiary’s initial visit and subsequent visits to the chiropractor.
- Special edition MLN Matters article SE 1602 explains the Active Treatment modifier (AT), which was developed to clearly define the difference between active treatment and maintenance treatment.
- Special edition MLN Matters article SE1603 provides a detailed list of informational/educational resources that can help chiropractors avoid billing errors due to insufficient or inaccurate documentation.
- MLN Matters article SE 1601: https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Education/Medicare-Learning-Network-MLN/MLNMattersArticles/Downloads/SE1601.pdf
- MLN Matters article SE 1602: https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Education/Medicare-Learning-Network-MLN/MLNMattersArticles/Downloads/SE1602.pdf
- MLN Matters article SE1603: https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Education/Medicare-Learning-Network-MLN/MLNMattersArticles/Downloads/SE1603.pdf