What is a deepfake?
Fraudsters can distort reality by manipulating existing imagery to replace someone’s likeness.
How does AI deepfake technology work?
Artificial neural networks are computer systems that recognise patterns in data.
A deepfake can be created by feeding hundreds of thousands of images into the artificial neural network, which tarins the data to identify and reconstruct face patterns. Adoption of more advanced AI means less images and videos are needed allowing fraudsters to use these tools at scale.
How to detect a deepfake
- Jerky movement.
- Shifts in lighting from one frame to the next.
- Shifts in skin tone.
- Strange blinking or no blinking at all.
- Poor lip synch with the subject’s speech.
What businesses can do
- Use emerging authentication technology in video.
- Deploy AI and machine learning to detect deepfakes.
- Apply a layered fraud defence strategy to better identify deepfakes.