School may be out for the summer, but this is the perfect time for marketers to begin back-to-school planning. Follow these five simple tips and be on your way to back-to-school success.
- Searchers are actively seeking out ideas around clothes, hairstyles and dorm room décor as they prepare for the school year to start. Leverage sites like Pinterest to promote back to school merchandise and content. Don’t forget to include DIY and customization options as these appeal to today’s students.
- Don’t underestimate the influence of moms and college students. These consumers are more likely to actively search for the best deals online so test using deal-seeking terms like “free” and “sales” in promotional campaigns.
- In 2013, Marketers experienced a 35 percent lift in unique clicks when they used the word ‘college’ in the subject line. This year, try targeting specific ages for back-to-school by including terms like “college” and kids” in the subject line.
- Timing of back-to-school campaigns matters. While August is the key month for back-to-school campaigns, there may be more opportunity to mail additional campaigns for school supplies in July, and clothing and accessories in early September.
- Don’t forget to personalize! Last year, we saw a 44 percent increase in unique open rates for emails that contained personalization in the subject line. These tactics should be included in a strong back-to-school mailing program.
For more information on back-to-school planning, download the 5 Lessons for Back-to-school Marketers in 2014 report.