You Might Owe on Your Mortgage after Bankruptcy

Financial problems
Dear Experian,

I want to know if I still owe my mortgage company after filing Chapter 13 bankruptcy. When I filed I was in foreclosure, and they said I owed $72,000. I paid that amount in full. Now the company is saying I owe $59,000 more. Does this sound right? I have my discharge papers from the courts.


Dear ARB,

Whether you still owe money to your mortgage company or not depends on how your bankruptcy was filed and if the mortgage was later reaffirmed.

When you file Chapter 13 bankruptcy, you agree to a debt repayment plan that usually takes five years to complete. Under the plan, your creditors are awarded a certain percentage of the total amount owed to them.

Depending on the circumstances, you may be able to reaffirm certain accounts, such as your mortgage or auto loan, and continue making regular payments on the account in exchange for keeping the house or vehicle. Once reaffirmed, the account is no longer a part of the bankruptcy and you must repay the debt in full. Your obligation does not end when the bankruptcy is discharged.

If you feel the account is being reported incorrectly, you can send a copy of your bankruptcy schedule "A" and the bankruptcy petition and discharge papers. Once we receive the documentation showing the mortgage was included in the bankruptcy and not reaffirmed, Experian should be able to update the account information accordingly.

Also consider contacting the mortgage company for more information about the amount they say you owe. For legal advice regarding your bankruptcy, you should contact your attorney.

Thanks for asking.
The "Ask Experian" team

The purpose of this question submission tool is to provide general education on credit reporting. The Ask Experian team cannot respond to each question individually. However, if your question is of interest to a wide audience of consumers, the Experian team may include it in a future post and may also share responses in its social media outreach. If you have a question, others likely have the same question, too. By sharing your questions and our answers, we can help others as well.

Personal credit report disputes cannot be submitted through Ask Experian. To dispute information in your personal credit report, simply follow the instructions provided with it. Your personal credit report includes appropriate contact information including a website address, toll-free telephone number and mailing address.

To submit a dispute online visit Experian's Dispute Center. If you have a current copy of your personal credit report, simply enter the report number where indicated, and follow the instructions provided. If you do not have a current personal report, Experian will provide a free copy when you submit the information requested. Additionally, you may obtain a free copy of your report once a week through April 2022 at AnnualCreditReport.