At Experian, one of our priorities is consumer credit and finance education. This post may contain links and references to one or more of our partners, but we provide an objective view to help you make the best decisions. For more information, see our Editorial Policy.
In this article:
As one of the largest big-box retailers, Walmart can be a go-to source for nearly all your shopping needs. If you're a Walmart regular, the Capital One Walmart Rewards® Mastercard® offers great rewards on online and in-app Walmart purchases, along with cash back earning opportunities on other common purchases. However, rewards on in-store Walmart purchases, and purchases made elsewhere leave something to be desired.
Capital One Walmart Rewards® Mastercard®
on Capital One's website
Recommended FICO® Score*
Capital One Walmart Rewards® Mastercard®
17.99% or 29.49% (Variable)
5% Cash Back at Walmart.com, including Pickup and Delivery, 2% Cash Back at restaurants and on travel, 2% Cash Back in Walmart® stores, Murphy USA and Walmart® fuel stations, 1% cash back everywhere else Mastercard® is accepted
2% Cash Back on Restaurants & Travel
2% Cash Back on Walmart In-store Purchases
1% Cash Back on All Other Purchases
- Earn 5% cash back on Walmart.com purchases, including pickup and delivery
- Earn 2% cash back on purchases in Walmart® stores, Murphy USA and Walmart® fuel stations, 2% cash back on restaurants and travel purchases, and 1% cash back on all other purchases everywhere else Mastercard® is accepted
- Introductory offer: Earn 5% cash back on purchases in Walmart® stores for the first 12 months when you use your card with Walmart Pay
- Redeem rewards for cash back, statement credits, purchases on Walmart.com, travel and gift cards
- $0 annual fee
- Fraud Coverage - You're covered by $0 Fraud Liability if your card is ever lost or stolen
- No foreign transaction fees
- Cash Advance APR: 29.49% variable APR. Cash Advance Fee: Either $3 or 3% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater. Transfer Fee: No Transfer Fee at Transfer APR.
|High rewards on orders from Walmart's website||Unexceptional rewards for in-store Walmart purchases|
|Available to applicants with fair credit||Doesn't offer a great intro bonus|
|No annual fee or foreign transaction fees|
|Capital One Customer Service|
Attn: General Correspondence
P.O. Box 30285
Salt Lake City, UT 84130-0287
The Capital One Walmart Rewards® Mastercard® offers a high 5% cash back rate for purchases you make on Walmart.com, including pickup and delivery options for grocery orders. There's no annual fee for the card, and you can redeem your cash back rewards in several ways.
Ample Cash Back Opportunities for Frequent Walmart Shoppers
The cash back rewards rate you'll get when making purchases with the Capital One Walmart Rewards® Mastercard® varies depending on where you shop, what you buy and how you pay:
- 5% cash back when paying on Walmart.com
- 2% cash back when you make a purchase in a Walmart store
- 2% cash back on restaurants and travel purchases
- 2% cash back at Walmart and Murphy USA gas stations
- 1% cash back on all other purchases where Mastercard® is accepted
Additionally, there's an intro offer for an extra 3% cash back (5% total) for in-store purchases when you pay using Walmart Pay during your first year with the card. Walmart Pay is part of the Walmart app, and allows you to add store credit, debit and gift cards to your account that you can then use for touch-free payment when you check out.
The intro offer bonus can be appealing if you prefer to shop in-store, but it may not be as rewarding as the intro bonus offered by some other rewards cards.
Several Redemption Options for Your Unlimited Rewards
There's no limit to how much you can earn in cash back rewards. Additionally, the rewards you earn will accrue in your account as points, which you can redeem in several ways:
- Lower your card's balance. Apply the points toward your credit card's balance, essentially using them to pay part of your bill. You can't, however, use points to pay for the minimum payment portion of your bill.
- Pay for a recent purchase. Select a transaction from the previous 90 days and apply the points directly toward paying for part or all of the purchase.
- Get a gift card. Exchange your rewards points for select gift cards.
- Travel. Redeem your points to cover travel purchases or book travel through Capital One.
Available for Fair to Excellent Credit
You may be able to get the Capital One Walmart Rewards® Mastercard® card if you have at least fair credit. Considering the benefits and lack of an annual fee and its potentially generous rewards structure, this card is a much better pick than many other options available to those with fair credit.
Cardholder Benefits and Protections
The Capital One Walmart Rewards® Mastercard® offers several benefits and protections you may be able to use:
- No foreign transaction fees: You won't pay an extra fee if you make a purchase in a foreign currency or while traveling abroad.
- Mobile app management: You'll be able to check and manage your card account using the Capital One mobile app. The app also comes with helpful features, such as the ability to lock your card if it's lost or stolen and set up instant notifications when your card is used for purchase.
Is This Card Right for You?
The Capital One Walmart Rewards® Mastercard® could be a good choice if you regularly shop at Walmart using the Walmart website or app. Or, if you have fair credit and are looking for a rewards card without an annual fee, the card can pay off for you even if you don't shop at Walmart very often. Plus, unlike with some store cards, you don't have to redeem your rewards at the retailer.