How to Request a Credit Report When You Are Incarcerated

ECS - Accounts Page

Through December 31, 2023, Experian, TransUnion and Equifax will offer all U.S. consumers free weekly credit reports through to help you protect your financial health during the sudden and unprecedented hardship caused by COVID-19.

Dear Experian,

My fiancé is incarcerated and he wants a copy of his credit report. What can I do to help him get one? We have tried the site and it will not come up. When the sample questions came up it was asking about home loans from 2014 and credit cards from 2009, which were all while he has been incarcerated.


Dear SWA,

Your fiancé needs to mail in his request for a credit report. He should include his full name (including middle name and any generation code), previous mailing addresses, date of birth, and social security number. He also must provide a notarized letter from the warden or other authorized correctional facility personnel verifying that it is his place of residence. The letter should be on the correctional institution's letterhead and include his inmate number.

The request should be mailed to:

Annual Credit Report Request Service
P.O. Box 105281
Atlanta, GA 30348-5281

If your fiancé believes he has been a victim of identity theft, he should indicate that in the letter. Experian will place an initial security alert on his file and will include information on how to dispute any information on his report that may be incorrect.

The report will be mailed to him. To dispute fraudulent information, follow the instructions provide with the report.

Thanks for asking.
The "Ask Experian" team

The purpose of this question submission tool is to provide general education on credit reporting. The Ask Experian team cannot respond to each question individually. However, if your question is of interest to a wide audience of consumers, the Experian team may include it in a future post and may also share responses in its social media outreach. If you have a question, others likely have the same question, too. By sharing your questions and our answers, we can help others as well.

Personal credit report disputes cannot be submitted through Ask Experian. To dispute information in your personal credit report, simply follow the instructions provided with it. Your personal credit report includes appropriate contact information including a website address, toll-free telephone number and mailing address.

To submit a dispute online visit Experian's Dispute Center. If you have a current copy of your personal credit report, simply enter the report number where indicated, and follow the instructions provided. If you do not have a current personal report, Experian will provide a free copy when you submit the information requested. Additionally, you may obtain a free copy of your report once a week through December 31, 2022 at AnnualCreditReport.