At Experian, one of our priorities is consumer credit and finance education. This post may contain links and references to one or more of our partners, but we provide an objective view to help you make the best decisions. For more information, see our Editorial Policy.
The popularity of home vacation rental sites like Airbnb, VRBO and HomeAway has exploded in recent years, and it's no wonder: A home rental can offer extra space, the ability to use a kitchen and a unique, homey perspective on a new city.
If you're traveling this year and plan to rent a place to stay in lieu of a hotel, you should still get travel rewards for those stays. The good news is that there are several cards that count Airbnb, VRBO, HomeAway and other rental sites as travel purchases, allowing you to maximize your rewards. Not all do, though, which is why you'll want to pay for your rental with a card from the list below. There are also several cards that let you book those stays using travel points.
Check out the cards below in Experian's CreditMatch™ marketplace.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® CardApply
on Chase's website
15.99% - 22.99% Variable
Intro APR: N/A
1X points on All Other Purchases
Intro Bonus: Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That's 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
Chase recently started coding Airbnb and VRBO purchases under travel, instead of "property management" as it had in the past. That means you'll earn 2 points per $1 spent on purchases at vacation rental sites like Airbnb.
Discover it® MilesApply
on Discover's website
11.99% - 22.99% Variable
Intro APR: 0% on Purchases and 10.99% on Balance Transfers for 14 months
Intro Bonus: Mile-for-Mile match of all Miles earned the first year
- UNLIMITED BONUS: Discover will match ALL the Miles you’ve earned at the end of your first year, automatically. For example, if you earn 35,000 Miles, you get 70,000 Miles. That’s $700 towards travel or to redeem as Cash! The more you earn, the more you get.
- Earn unlimited 1.5x Miles for every dollar spent on all purchases - with no annual fee.
- Redeem for Travel or Cash. Easily redeem Miles as a statement credit for travel purchases or get cash.
- No Blackout Dates. Simply pay for travel purchases like airlines, hotels, rental cars, and more with your Discover it® Miles card.
- Miles Pay You Back. Easily redeem Miles as a statement credit for travel purchases. Or get cash.
- Freeze your account in seconds with an on/off switch either on the mobile app or website to prevent new purchases, cash advances, and balance transfers.
- Get your free Credit Scorecard with your FICO® Credit Score, number of recent inquiries and more.
- Get an alert if we find your Social Security number on any of thousands of Dark Web sites.* Activate for free.
This is another solid no annual fee travel rewards card. You earn 1.5 miles per dollar spent on every purchase, including Airbnb and VRBO stays. Discover will also automatically match all the miles you've earned at the end of your first year, effectively doubling your earn rate for the first year. Redeem those miles at 1 cent per mile for travel statement credits on Airbnb purchases and other qualifying expenses.