At Experian, one of our priorities is consumer credit and finance education. This post may contain links and references to one or more of our partners, but we provide an objective view to help you make the best decisions. For more information, see our Editorial Policy.
In this article:
The Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card is a new premium card with travel-focused rewards and benefits. It stands apart from other premium credit cards with its relatively low annual fee, high rewards rate on everyday purchases and plentiful cardholder benefits. While it might not be the best fit for everyone, it's certainly a good option that frequent travelers should consider.
Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card
on Capital One's website
Recommended FICO® Score*
Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card
17.24% - 24.24% (Variable)
2x Miles per dollar on every purchase, every day, 10x Miles on hotels and rental cars booked through Capital One Travel, 10x Miles per dollar when you book on Turo, the world’s largest car sharing marketplace, through May 16, 2023, 5x Miles on flights booked through Capital One Travel
5x miles on Flights Booked Through Capital One Travel
2x miles on All Purchases
75,000 Miles when you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening
- Earn 75,000 bonus miles when you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening, equal to $750 in travel
- Receive up to $300 back annually as statement credits for bookings through Capital One Travel, where you'll get Capital One's best prices on thousands of options
- Get 10,000 bonus miles (equal to $100 towards travel) every year, starting on your first anniversary
- Earn unlimited 10X miles on hotels and rental cars booked through Capital One Travel and 5X miles on flights booked through Capital One Travel
- Earn unlimited 2X miles on all other purchases
- Escape the airport crowd and recharge before your flight with unlimited access to all-inclusive amenities at the Capital One Lounge and at 1,300+ Priority Pass lounges worldwide
- Receive up to a $100 credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck®
- Use your Venture X miles to easily cover travel expenses, including flights, hotels, rental cars and more—you can even transfer your miles to your choice of 15+ travel loyalty programs
|Large intro offers||Intro bonus requires high spending|
|Good rewards rates and anniversary bonuses||High annual fee|
|Premium perks||Requires excellent credit|
|Capital One Customer Service|
Attn: General Correspondence
P.O. Box 30285
Salt Lake City, UT 84130-0287
If you travel frequently and are looking for a premium rewards card, the Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card could be a great pick. While you may need excellent credit to qualify for the card, it has two appealing welcome offers and many ongoing benefits.
The card does have a $395 annual fee. However, that's lower than the annual fee many premium travel cards charge. And, as you'll see, the benefits could more than outweigh the cost.
A 75,000-Point Welcome Bonus
As a new cardmember, you could earn 75,000 bonus miles after spending $4,000 within 3 months of opening your account.
It's a headline-worthy intro bonus, as the miles could be worth $750 toward travel. You can also transfer the miles to partner travel rewards programs, which could potentially increase their value. For example, you may be able to redeem the miles for first-class tickets that cost over $750.
But don't overlook the spending requirement. If you can't meet the requirement without overspending or carrying a balance, it might make sense to hold off on applying until there's a different intro offer.
Good Rewards Rates and Anniversary Bonus Miles
With the Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card, you can earn:
- 10 miles per dollar spent on hotels and rentals cars that you book through Capital One Travel
- 10x miles per dollar when you book on Turo, the world's largest car sharing marketplace, through May 16, 2023
- 5 miles per dollar on flights that you book through Capital One Travel
- 2 miles per dollar on all other purchases
The 2 miles base rate is higher than you might find on other premium travel cards, as are the five- and 10-mile tiered rewards rates, but you need to book through Capital One Travel to receive the higher rates.
You can redeem your miles in a variety of ways, such as getting cash back, covering travel purchases and booking a trip through Capital One Travel. As a cardholder, you'll also receive 10,000 bonus miles within one to two billing cycles of paying the annual fee each year—worth at least $100 toward travel starting on your first anniversary.
Travel Benefits for Cardholders
Going beyond the mile-earning benefits, the Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card offers several perks that can put money back in your pocket and make traveling more enjoyable:
- $300 annual travel credit: The annual travel credit can be applied to purchases you make through Capital One Travel.
- Priority Pass and Capital One lounge access: You'll have complimentary access to over 1,300 Priority Pass lounges after enrolling; you'll also receive free access to Capital One Lounges. The first Capital One Lounge was opened in the Dallas-Fort Worth airport, with two additional lounges planned for Denver International Airport and Washington Dulles International Airport in 2022.
- Up to $100 toward TSA Precheck or Global Entry: Get $100 toward a Global Entry application or $85 toward a TSA Precheck application once every four years.
- Hertz Gold Plus Rewards status: Receive complimentary President's Circle status, which comes with benefits such as guaranteed upgrades.
- Visa Infinite benefits: You'll also receive a variety of Visa Infinite card benefits, such as a concierge service, trip delay reimbursement, extended warranty protection and primary auto rental collision damage waiver.
Review the card's benefits, terms and conditions closely to better understand how and when you can use these perks.
|Purchase APR: 17.24% - 24.24% (Variable)||Grace period: 25 days|
|Transfer APR: 17.24% - 24.24% (Variable)||Annual fee: $395|
|Cash Advance APR: 24.24% (Variable)||Balance transfer fee: 0% at this Transfer APR|
|Cash advance fee: 3% of the advance amount; $10 minimum|
|Foreign transaction fee: None|
|Late payment fee: Up to $40|
Unlike some premium cards, you can add an authorized user to your Capital One Venture X account for free. Authorized users won't receive all the perks available to primary cardholders. For example, they don't earn rewards or get annual statement credits or bonus miles. However, Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card authorized users do receive some of the Visa Infinite purchase and travel protections and can enroll to get Hertz Gold Plus Rewards status.
Is This Card Right for You?
The Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card may be a good fit for frequent travelers, and its intro bonus offers are especially appealing right now if you can meet the requirements without overspending. The $395 annual fee is relatively low compared with other premium travel cards. Plus, the 10,000-mile anniversary bonus and $300 annual travel credit make up for the fee, while the 2-miles-per-dollar rewards rate can help you rack up miles on everyday purchases.