At Experian, one of our priorities is consumer credit and finance education. This post may contain links and references to one or more of our partners, but we provide an objective view to help you make the best decisions. For more information, see our Editorial Policy.
Whether you aim to get your holiday shopping started or make a large purchase for yourself, having the right credit card ready for Prime Day could help you maximize your savings. Using a credit card to get cash back, earn valuable credit card rewards and even save on interest with promotional 0% intro APR financing can take some of the bite out of those buys.
As Prime Day approaches, consider whether you're using the right credit card to maximize reward earnings when shopping with Amazon.
4 Partner Offers
Chase Freedom Flex℠
The Chase Freedom Flex℠ offers competitive reward earnings with no annual fee, and cardholders can earn up to 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in spending in bonus categories each quarter when you activate. The rotating categories for this card are reset each quarter, giving you the opportunity to change what you earn 5% rewards on every few months. Once the spending cap is reached for bonus categories, the cash back rate becomes 1%.
You'll also earn 5% cash back on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3% cash back on dining at restaurants and drugstore purchases, and 1% cash back on all other eligible purchases. When you sign up for this card, you can earn a $200 bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in the first 3 months of having the account.
Chase Freedom Flex℠
18.74% - 27.49% Variable
5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate. Enjoy new 5% categories each quarter! Plus, earn 5% cash back on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3% on dining and drugstores, and 1% on all other purchases.
5% cash back on Travel purchased through Chase
3% cash back on Dining
1% cash back on All Other Purchases
Earn a $200 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening
- Earn a $200 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening.
- 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate. Enjoy new 5% categories each quarter!
- 5% cash back on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®; our premier rewards program that lets you redeem rewards for cash back, travel, gift cards and more
- 3% cash back on drugstore purchases and dining at restaurants, including takeout and eligible delivery service, and unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- No minimum to redeem for cash back. You can choose to receive a statement credit or direct deposit into most U.S. checking and savings accounts. Cash Back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open!
- 0% Intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable APR of 18.74% - 27.49%.
- No annual fee - You won't have to pay an annual fee for all the great features that come with your Freedom Flex℠ card
- Keep tabs on your credit health - Chase Credit Journey helps you monitor your credit with free access to your latest score, real-time alerts, and more.
Credit One Bank American Express® Credit Card
When shopping with the Credit One Bank American Express® Credit Card, you can earn 1% cash back on all purchases, regardless of the spending category. This card has a low annual fee of only $39 and could be a good option for someone with fair to good credit.
Outside of the reward earnings, cardholders are also eligible to access American Express Offers, which are exclusive deals on shopping, dining, travel and entertainment made available through the Amex offers portal. Terms apply.Read full review
Credit One Bank American Express® Credit Card
Earn unlimited 1% cash back rewards on all purchases, terms apply
- Earn unlimited 1% cash back rewards on all purchases, terms apply
- $0 Fraud Liability ensures you won’t be responsible for unauthorized charges
- Retail Protection covers you if an eligible item is accidentally damaged or stolen, terms apply
- Get deals on shopping, dining, travel, and entertainment through Amex Offers
- Enjoy exclusive access to pre-sale tickets for some of the hottest nationwide concerts and events
- Know you’re covered when the unexpected happens while traveling with Travel Accident Insurance, terms apply
- If you are a Covered Borrower under the Military Lending Act, you may get a different offer
Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card
The Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card is a great option for anyone who spends a considerable amount on Amazon purchases, as it offers 5% cash back on all Amazon and Whole Foods Market spending. Unlike the Amazon Prime Store Card, you can also use this card on spending with other retailers. Cardholders earn 2% back at restaurants, gas stations and drugstores and 1% cash back everywhere else.
While there is no annual fee with this card, you do have to have an active Amazon Prime membership to be eligible for this card. The cost of an Amazon Prime membership is currently $119 per year, but depending on how much use you get out of this card, your cash back earnings could more than make up for Prime membership cost. When you sign up for this card, you can get a $150 Amazon gift card if approved.
Amazon Prime Store Card
The Amazon Prime Store Card offers great earning potential for spending with Amazon related businesses, but you can't use this card for purchases with other retailers. This card is best for people looking to maximize their Amazon spending, but are OK with having to use another credit card for spending elsewhere.
With this card, you can earn 5% cash back on Amazon purchases throughout the year and can earn 6% cash back on Amazon.com purchases made during Amazon Prime Day. Amazon Prime Store cardholders may also be eligible for special offers on specific products.
Only Amazon Prime members are eligible for this card. When you sign up for this card, you can get a $100 Amazon gift card if approved.
What Credit Card Earns the Most Rewards at Amazon?
Of all the cards listed above, the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card is your best bet for earning rewards that can be used on Amazon purchases. Not only do you get the initial bonus, but you'll earn 5% cash back when you use the card for your Amazon purchases.
On top of that, you can use this card to make purchases elsewhere. Cardholders earn 2% cash back at restaurants, gas stations and drugstores and 1% cash back everywhere else. Finally, this card is offering a $150 Amazon gift card for those approved, which can instantly be used for your purchases on Amazon Prime Day.
How to Avoid Overspending on Amazon Prime Day
As with any shopping holiday, it's easy to go overboard and spend more than you planned. To ensure you don't fall victim to clever marketing and the pressure of time-limited discounts, create a plan before you start shopping.
Here are some tips and tricks for spending responsibly during a retail holiday:
- Set your budget and stick to it. Before you start shopping, have an idea of what you can afford to spend. If you're making purchases for the holidays, make sure to include this spending in your overall holiday budget. Having a guide for how much to spend could help you protect against overspending and will narrow your focus to buying only what you need.
- Plan for repayment. Spending with a credit card can be a great way to save money, as long as you have a sound plan for how you'll pay off your balance. It's ideal to pay off your card balance immediately as interest charges will add to your overall cost if you plan to pay it back over time. Factor interest into your budget and weigh it against any potential rewards—it can easily undo rewards savings if you're not careful.
- Pay all your bills on time. Payment history is the most important factor in your FICO® Score☉ , so it's important to pay all your bills on time. If you end up overspending, make sure to do what you can to pay at least the minimum balance on your cards to remain in good standing and avoid any dings in your credit history.
If you plan on getting a new credit card prior to Prime Day, be sure to check your credit before applying so you have a better idea of which cards you may be approved for. You can get a free copy of your credit report and scores from Experian and can use Experian CreditMatch™ to get paired with cards based on your creditworthiness.
All information about the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card and Amazon Prime Store Card has been collected independently by Experian and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer of the card.