In this article:
Nearly a year into the COVID-19 pandemic, credit card issuers are still making adjustments to their reward card offerings. In an effort to provide new and existing cardholders with the opportunity to maximize reward earnings, American Express recently announced changes to some of their most popular cards.
Read on for an overview of the updates—some of which may only be available for a limited time—to see how you may benefit. Terms apply to all American Express offers.
American Express Unveils New Rewards for Platinum Card®
As it became clear that the pandemic would drastically change how we spend and what we buy, American Express took steps to update their high-end reward cards in an effort to continue offering value to cardholders. With fewer people traveling, shopping and eating out, earning points on reward cards like the Platinum Card became more of a challenge.
In a recent update, American Express announced even more saving opportunities for the Platinum Card in 2021, including a monthly PayPal credit and exclusive Amex Offers more than $1,000 in savings.
Certain American Express cards offer cardholders the option to enroll and save with Amex Offers. This program helps consumers save money and earn extra points for shopping, dining and more. To activate this benefit, you need to navigate to the Amex Offers section of the mobile app or website and enroll in an offer before making a qualifying purchase.
While new Amex Offers are constantly being added, the card issuer recently announced several exclusive offers for certain Platinum card members. Some of the more attractive offers currently include ones from Best Buy and Home Depot, which can be redeemed for household items and could be worth up to $200. For example, the offers as of January 2021 could include the following:
- Best Buy: With this Amex Offer you can get $50 back after spending $50 or more at Best Buy. This offer is only valid for online purchases and can be earned two times—that's $100 in potential statement credits.
- Home Depot: This offer also issues a $50 statement credit after you spend $50 or more at Home Depot. This deal is only valid for online purchases and can be earned two times—that's $100 in potential statement credits.
As a reminder, the Best Buy and Home Depot offers must be used by June 30, 2021, and may not be available to all Platinum cardholders. To see if you can access these offers, check out the Amex Offer section of your account to enroll before redeeming. Eligibility for this offer is limited.
Monthly PayPal Credit
Similar to the monthly streaming and cellphone bill credit offered in 2020, American Express Platinum Card now may provide a monthly statement credit of up to $30 when cardholders use their Platinum Card to purchase items from U.S. merchants using PayPal. Many online retailers (including Walmart, Target and others) now offer PayPal as a checkout option. To receive this monthly credit, just be sure to select your Platinum Card when checking out with PayPal on any of these sites.
Not all PayPal purchases will trigger this credit. Peer-to-peer payments, for example, are not eligible, and certain gift card purchases may also not qualify. There is no enrollment needed for this offer and credits will be automatically applied to accounts with eligible purchases through June 30, 2021.
Amex Gold Card Adds Uber Eats Pass, Uber Cash
The American Express Platinum Card® wasn't the only rewards card impacted by changes in consumer behavior during the pandemic. American Express Gold Card holders will be getting two new benefits: $120 in Uber Cash each year and an offer for a free Uber Eats Pass for 12 months.
- Up to $120 Uber Cash: This Uber Cash will be issued over the course of the year ($10 per month). You will need to connect your Gold Card with your Uber account in the Uber app in order for the monthly benefit to appear. Uber Cash can be used for U.S. Uber Eats orders as well as U.S. Uber rides.
- Uber Eats Pass: An Uber Eats Pass offers a benefit to anyone who uses Uber Eats to order food. People with an Uber Eats Pass avoid delivery fees and get 5% off orders over $15 at eligible restaurants. To get started with your Uber Eats Pass, connect your Amex Gold Card with your Uber Wallet and open your Uber Eats app to activate the offer. Once you activate this offer, your Uber Eats Pass will be free for 12 months. Learn More.
- Introduction of rose gold as a permanent card design option: In past years, American Express offered the option of getting a rose gold-colored card instead of the classic gold. While they limited this option in the past, they will be making the color selection a permanent option moving forward.
The Gold Card provides excellent rewards on dining—it offers 4 points per dollar spent at restaurants and groceries. The addition of the Uber Cash and Uber Eats Pass aligns with the card's other benefits to provide potential savings when it's time to eat. If you're interested in the American Express Gold Card and the benefits it provides, create an Experian account and find out if you're paired with this card through Experian CreditMatch™.