Recovering a lost PIN when your credit file is frozen

Dear Experian,

I lost my pin for credit thaws and freezes. How do I go about getting another one? Can I do it over the phone or would it be better if I did that in writing?



Dear WVS,

You can request a PIN reminder at Experian’s online Security Freeze Center.

The Security Freeze Center provides information about security freezes and links for both freezing and unfreezing your credit history, as well as a link to request a PIN reminder to recover your lost or misplaced access code.

You also can call to request a PIN reminder. Dial 1 888 EXPERIAN (1 888 397 3742) and simply follow the prompts and your PIN will be mailed to you.

Security freeze requirements vary from state to state. The Security Freeze Center provides detailed explanations of the state regulations that apply to where you live. It also includes links to instructions for temporarily or permanently unfreezing your credit history.

Thanks for asking.

- The “Ask Experian” team

Our policies for Ask Experian:

The information contained in Ask Experian is for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. You should consult your own attorney or seek specific advice from a legal professional regarding your particular situation. Please understand that Experian policies change over time. Posts reflect Experian policy at the time of writing. While maintained for your information, archived posts may not reflect current Experian policy. The Ask Experian team cannot respond to each question individually. However, if your question is of interest to a wide audience of consumers, the Experian team will include it in a future post.