Experian Marketing Services has released its holiday insights for the week of November 11th, 2012.
This week’s key findings:
- Percent off campaigns increased in frequency this week, comprising 27.1% of offers compared to 23.7% last week.
- The overall percent of campaigns with offers in subject lines has increased from 26% in 2011 to 28% this holiday season.
- Black Friday is less than two weeks away, and this past week Black Friday searches increased 383% compared to the previous week.
- 41% of Black Friday searches contain four keywords in a search term. The top four-word searches include “walmart black friday 2012″, “black friday ads 2012″ and “target black friday 2012″.
Email transaction rates
As we approach the halfway mark for this holiday season, we have analyzed year-over-year transaction rate performance to see what types of brands’ email programs are performing well.
Thus far, luxury retailers and technology brands have seen the biggest increase in transaction rates compared to 2011.
Who’s seeing the highest transaction rates?
- Mid and high-level department stores
- High end home décor and bedding
- Phones and mobile products
Email subject lines
For campaigns with above average transaction rates, Experian Marketing Services found that consumers are looking for “free” gifts and shipping, “new” products and “exclusive” offers. Words creating a sense of urgency such as “today only” or “last chance” for “% off” and “$” offers are also occurring frequently in campaigns with high transaction rates.
Black Friday searches
As Black Friday approaches, the number of related searches has kicked into high gear. This past week’s Black Friday searches increased 383% compared to the previous week.
We’re seeing that 41% of Black Friday searches include four keywords in a search term. The top four-word searches include “walmart black friday 2012″, “black friday ads 2012″ and “target black friday 2012″.
Favorite holiday products
Our trend-spotters have done their research on search trends for products that could become this year’s holiday favorites. To identify the popular toys for gifts this year, Experian Marketing Services researched product-related search terms driving traffic to ToysRUs.com compared to last year’s holiday season. Check out the post from earlier this week: Holiday hot products – tablets top the list and the Furby is back!
Learn more about the author, Shelley Kessler