With the upcoming Facebook IPO launch on Friday, we have updated a previous post based on US data showing the impact Facebook has online with its growth over the years. Here are 15 stats for the May 18th IPO:
- Facebook.com received 9% of all US Internet visits in April 2012.
- Facebook.com received more than 1.6 billion visits a week and averaged more than 229 million US visits a day for the year-to-date.
- 1 in every 5 page views in the US occurred on Facebook.com.
- Facebook.com has received more than 400 billion page views this year in the US.
- The average visit time on Facebook.com is 20 minutes.
- The Facebook.com audience skews more female (56%) than male.
- Facebook.com became the #1 ranked website in the US on March 9, 2010.
- The term ‘Facebook’ is the most searched term in the US and has been for the past three years, starting the week ending July 18, 2009.
- Facebook-related terms account for 6% of the top searched terms in the US and Facebook-related terms made up 4 of the top 10 US searches (among the top 100 search terms for the 4 weeks ending May 12, 2012).
- Facebook.com users are highly loyal to the website; 96% of visitors to Facebook.com were returning (defined as visited within past 30 days) visitors in April 2012.
- 10 states account for 52% of visits to Facebook.com – California, Texas, New York, Florida, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Georgia, North Carolina based on year-to-date average.
- The top states where users are more likely to visit Facebook.com versus the online population are: West Virginia, Kentucky, Maine, Vermont, Arkansas, Iowa, Indiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma and Alabama based on year-to-date average.
- The New York City DMA provides the largest volume of traffic to Facebook.com and the Charleston, WV DMA is the area where users are most likely to visit compared to the online population.
- Facebook.com is the top social networking site in the US, Canada, UK, Brazil, France, Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong and Singapore markets.
- Facebook.com is the top overall site in the US, Canada, New Zealand, Hong Kong and Singapore. Facebook.com ranks 2nd in the UK, Brazil, France and Australia.
Learn more about the author, Matt Tatham