Spouse’s credit file must be frozen separately with each credit reporting company

Jagged Ice


Dear Experian,

My credit report is frozen. Most of my accounts are joint with my wife. Is my wife’s report automatically frozen as well, or do I have to freeze hers separately?


Even though you are married and have joint accounts, you and your wife have separate credit reports. Therefore, freezing your credit report does not also freeze hers. You must make a separate request to have her credit report frozen.

You can request a security freeze online at www.experian.com/freeze, by phone at 1 888 EXPERIAN (1 888 397 3742), or by mailing your request to Experian Security Freeze, P.O. Box 9554, Allen, TX 75013

Fees and requirements for adding or removing a freeze vary by state. You can find state-specific information at www.experian.com/consumer/security_freeze.html If she has been the victim of identity theft and has obtained a police report, you may mail a copy of the police report and any fee for adding the freeze will be waived.

Keep in mind that freezing your credit report can affect your ability to obtain new credit or services and can delay the application process.

Also be aware that freezing your credit report will not prevent your identity from being stolen and used to commit crimes or fraud that do not involve accessing your credit history.

Thanks for asking.

The “Ask Experian” team

Our policies for Ask Experian:

The information contained in Ask Experian is for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. You should consult your own attorney or seek specific advice from a legal professional regarding your particular situation. Please understand that Experian policies change over time. Posts reflect Experian policy at the time of writing. While maintained for your information, archived posts may not reflect current Experian policy. The Ask Experian team cannot respond to each question individually. However, if your question is of interest to a wide audience of consumers, the Experian team will include it in a future post.