Replacing a lost security freeze PIN number


Dear Experian,

I placed a security freeze on my account and have misplaced the PIN needed to temporarily remove the freeze. How do I get a replacement PIN?



Dear MCH,

When you request a security freeze the credit reporting company issues a PIN number. The number enables Experian to verify that you are not the identity thief when we receive a request to remove the freeze.

If you lose your PIN, you can request a PIN reminder by visiting Experian’s online Security Freeze Center. Simply select “Request a Personal Identification Number” and then “Request a PIN Reminder.” You may be asked to provide documentation to verify your identity before a new PIN can be issued.

You can also request a PIN reminder by telephone using our automated system. Call 1 888 EXPERIAN (1 888 397 3742) and following the prompts to have a PIN reminder mailed to you.

Because security freeze requirements vary from state to state, our online Security Freeze Center provides state-specific information on how to apply and lift a security freeze.

If you have placed a security freeze on your credit files with Equifax and Trans Union, you will need to contact them directly regarding their processes for replacing your PIN.

Thanks for asking.

The “Ask Experian” team

Our policies for Ask Experian:

The information contained in Ask Experian is for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. You should consult your own attorney or seek specific advice from a legal professional regarding your particular situation. Please understand that Experian policies change over time. Posts reflect Experian policy at the time of writing. While maintained for your information, archived posts may not reflect current Experian policy. The Ask Experian team cannot respond to each question individually. However, if your question is of interest to a wide audience of consumers, the Experian team will include it in a future post.