Credit history will not move with you to Canada

Dear Experian,

I am planning to move to Canada. Can I use my credit history from the U.S. to rent an apartment in Canada?



Dear ALV,

Your credit history doesn’t transfer with you across national boundaries, so you won’t be able to obtain a credit report from a Canadian credit reporting company for use in obtaining rental housing.

Each nation has its own credit reporting system, or in some instance, none at all. Because of differences in laws, processes, contracts, consumer assistance, and even the information included in the credit reports, credit history information isn’t shared across international boundaries.

Get copies of your credit reports from each of the national credit reporting companies and make them part of a file of your personal financial records. Rental property managers and others may take them under consideration when reviewing your application.

Once you are relocated, you will need to actively pursue building a credit history with creditors who report to Canadian credit reporting companies.

Thanks for asking.

- The “Ask Experian” team

Our policies for Ask Experian:

The information contained in Ask Experian is for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. You should consult your own attorney or seek specific advice from a legal professional regarding your particular situation. Please understand that Experian policies change over time. Posts reflect Experian policy at the time of writing. While maintained for your information, archived posts may not reflect current Experian policy. The Ask Experian team cannot respond to each question individually. However, if your question is of interest to a wide audience of consumers, the Experian team will include it in a future post.