Replacing a lost PIN when your credit file is frozen

Dear Experian,

When I moved, I misplaced the PIN for lifting my credit freeze. Can I get another PIN, and can I request it by email?



Dear VAG,

If you’ve lost or misplaced your security freeze PIN number you can request a new one online at Experian’s Security Freeze Center.

All you have to do is click on the “Request a Personal Identification Number reminder” link and complete the online form and follow the online instructions.

You’ll need to contact the other national credit reporting companies if you have frozen your credit histories with each of them. They will need to issue new PIN numbers as well, if you have lost those during the move.

Their processes to issue a new PIN number will likely be different from Experian’s. You will need to get in touch with them directly and follow the instructions they provide.

Thanks for asking.

- The “Ask Experian” team

Our policies for Ask Experian:

The information contained in Ask Experian is for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. You should consult your own attorney or seek specific advice from a legal professional regarding your particular situation. Please understand that Experian policies change over time. Posts reflect Experian policy at the time of writing. While maintained for your information, archived posts may not reflect current Experian policy. The Ask Experian team cannot respond to each question individually. However, if your question is of interest to a wide audience of consumers, the Experian team will include it in a future post.